Thursday 18 October 2007

Show and Tell time...


I thought since I'm not working on anything new at the moment that it was a good chance to showcase my last finished project. In fact it's the first finished project that I've actually kept for myself. Yes I have a few UFO's like every other quilter, but not the big stacks of finished quilts that some of you are displaying. Oh how I envy your dedication and time management skills.

Back to my recently finished project... It's made totally from recycled cotton work uniforms, both shirts, polo tops and pants. I made it to celebrate our 10 year anniversary as Parks Victoria as well as my ten years service with them. I collected a sample of all the uniform styles and shirt colours that we've had over the past 10 years, which was no mean feet in itself. There are a couple of rare shirts, I actually felt guilty cutting up some that were the last in existence.

I even included functional pockets, a complete unbuttonable shirt, commemorative badges, epaulets and the garment labels themselves.

This was the first quilt that I had ever had machine quilted.. basically because of lack of time and because I previously never had the nerve to place my many months of hard work into the hands of a complete stranger, let alone trust the postal service with it's return. Leslie from Wonga Park, Victoria, Australia quilted this. I gave her a rough plan of attack, but basically left it up to her discretion and judgement. She did a lovely job, especially the freehand gum leaves and flowers around the border. Needless to say she was cursing my name and broke many needles trying to get through the thick layers of cotton drill and moleskin pants fabric (the dark green that looks more like black in these photos).
I have much shirt fabric leftover from this project already cut into triangles, waste not want not. I plan to put together a complete top of triangles like this block or just in the beige fabrics.I'm pleased with the overall finished project and received some beautiful comments from other work colleagues after displaying it in our annual Art Show. I think however I will stick to hand quilting... even if it takes me forever. It will serve as a wonderful piece of memory in years to come.

No comments: