Thursday 18 October 2007

Moda Abundance...

Let's just say I am completely and utterly frustrated with my Moda 'Abundance' fabric panel. Don't get me wrong I love the colours and the crackle. These photos don't do it justice. It was going to be my cheats Baltimore quilt. Problem is the panel is not actually symmetrical. The squares are not squares, more like diamonds, and even these are not all the same size. The corners and other triangular floral motifs all vary ever so slightly, so you can't cut them into individual pieces each the same size.

My original plan was to chop it up and make a square lap quillow about 150 x 150cm (or 60" square) so that way I would have had a block leftover to make the pillow front once it was all folded away. A quillow is a quilted blanket with a pocket so that you can fold it and tuck it inside itself to become a pillow or cushion. Great for travelling.



This ones not 'Abundance' but it's still a Kathy Schmitz design and carries the same crackle and toning of the abundance range. This is to be my backing fabric.So where too now? I have only seen one of these panels made up as a long narrow wall hanging with the full panel intact. It just didn't hook you in and looked as though it had been thrown together within an afternoon.
Has anyone else witnessed a completed example using this fabric that they could direct me to for ideas? If I let it sit in the too hard basket for too long it may never surface again.

No comments: