Saturday 19 January 2008

Phew! I'm Plastered!

Well you know those goals I set... I made a great start but as usual got a little side tracked. I believe the original intent was to complete the plaster cornice in the laundry, a potentially simple not too difficult task cutting 45's and squaring corners. HA! too easy... so I bypassed that room and started in the kitchen instead where the level of difficulty far outweighed my capabilities.

There were 45's and 30's, internals and externals, stopped ends and corners which butted up to existing old cornice to match. After much swearing and cursing, followed by another trip to the plaster store for an upgrade to my plaster miter box... we have success. Rather rough success, but success all the same.

After a sand, perhaps a little more filling and some paint, know one will ever know it was tackled by a complete (tight arse) renovator amateur.

It does look pretty rough like this, pre-sanding, doesn't it? You know it took me all day, inbetween childrens demands and food requests? Probably would have taken a professional one hour. I'm such a tight arse. The cornice only cost me $13.50 and I didn't fancy paying several hundreds for some bloke to whack it up and overcharge me being I'm just a woman. As they generally do round here. Well next time... this little woman is going to ring a professional. After the laundry that is... then we'll get a builder to totally build our next house.

No more renovating for this little duck. Hubby duck didn't take to it like you know what to water very well. I've had my fun, time to clean up the brushes and hang up the hammer... sanity and a secure marriage is a far happier place to be.

Did you like the colour sample I'm test driving? It's called Autumn Rust by Taubman Paints. At this time of night it's a gorgeous rich red whilst other times of the day or on the opposite side of the room it becomes a rusty brown. It's growing on hubby who's always cautious of my bold colour ideas. He's just not good at visualisation.

I better be visualising some sleep in the not too distant future... got to get up and play lawn bowls in the morning.

No comments: