Monday 21 January 2008

6 days old (So cute!)

Today was the very first day that the girls were able to have a hold of their beautiful bunny babes. They were so excited, right up until they we'd all over them. It was at this stage I realised this probably wasn't a good move. I'm not fussed about the girls change of clothes or extra washing, but more the fact that little babes such as these are toileted by their mother (stimulated to go to the toilet) normally at feed time. And as a mother rabbit only feeds them once a day, their little full bladders most likely assist in keeping their little bodies warm throughout the day until their next feed. The day is rather chilly, not the sort of day these little babes need to be struggling to keep warm . We've had good steady rain for the past two nights. I even pulled up my bedspread over my doona last night. I'd love to bring them all inside, but I know this would not please hubby, who's not fond of our ever increasing back yard population.
But this is how I grew up and I don't mind looking after them all. Kids need pets and it's a great way to learn about the birds and the bees, responsibility and although sad, even death.
Yesterday I decide to give their bedding a little clean up even though Angel has been a great little house keeper since their arrival. I found, stashed in the opposite corner to the nest another little bunny, obviously still born or had died soon after birth. Angel had cleaned up and buried it. She had 5 babes in total. This little one I believe would have been completely grey or ginger just like Angel and weighed 22 grams. The smallest live bunny was 21 grams. The girls were disappointed and had a little burial under the orange tree to say goodbye.
We haven't named any of them yet or checked to see which are girls or boys. Plenty of time for that. All are growing just fine.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Kate said...

So tiny and adorable!